Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

+32
groucho070
Punnaimaran
Shank
mayilSK
Bala (Karthik)
vicks
kv
Sakalakala Vallavar
sagi
rajkumarc
writeface
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
Balu
mythila
baroque
rajaclan
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
irir123
irfan123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
Wizzy
kiru
crimson king
V_S
fring151
Usha
plum
app_engine
36 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 am

good youththu singer, obviously from Telugu dEsam

Talking about her future course of action, Sruthi, who apart from being an AIR B-high vocal musician is also an accomplished violinist, said, "It becomes the responsibility of musicians of our generation to revive public interest in classical music. However, we do not have the star value that catches the attention of the media. In AP, very few classical musicians become stars."

And though she does enjoy film music, she says she is not sure she would like to pursue a career in playback singing. "I enjoy film music and our movies have produced some great compositions and composers. But looking at the trend in the movie scene, I do not know if I wish to. However, it is thanks to cinema that great composers such as Ilayaraja came into light."

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 am

Karthi oLaRal

என் அப்பாவோட முதல் படத்துக்கு இளையராஜா சார் இசை, என் முதல் படத்துக்கு யுவன் இசை.
While the other way around is true (rAsA's first movie had Sivakumar), this is either tongue-slip or deliberate oLaRal...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47 am

app_engine wrote: good youththu singer, obviously from Telugu dEsam

Talking about her future course of action, Sruthi, who apart from being an AIR B-high vocal musician is also an accomplished violinist, said, "It becomes the responsibility of musicians of our generation to revive public interest in classical music. However, we do not have the star value that catches the attention of the media. In AP, very few classical musicians become stars."

And though she does enjoy film music, she says she is not sure she would like to pursue a career in playback singing. "I enjoy film music and our movies have produced some great compositions and composers. But looking at the trend in the movie scene, I do not know if I wish to. However, it is thanks to cinema that great composers such as Ilayaraja came into light."
Thanks for sharing this. She is a distant relative and we recently congratulated her on this. Have heard her perform. She is quite good. Did not know that she admires Raaja.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 5 Empty Anything about IR found on the net

Post  Thirukovur Balaji Prasad Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 pm

A very funny piece of writing on the pathetic way in which songs have been pictured:

http://www.vikatan.com/new/article.php?module=magazine&aid=89092

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 5 Empty Anything about IR found on the net

Post  Thirukovur Balaji Prasad Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Dhanush on Raja (http://www.screen4screen.com/dhanush-about-ilaiyaraja-news/)

இளையராஜா அவர்களின் இசை எனக்குத் தாலாட்டு. அவருடைய இசை எனக்கு சாப்பாடு. அவருடைய இசை கலந்ததுதான் என்னுடைய சிறுவயதுப் பருவம். அவருடைய இசைதான் என்னுடைய முதல் காதல். அவருடைய இசைதான் என்னுடைய முதல் தோல்வி. அவருடைய இசைதான் என்னுடைய முதல் முத்தம். அதுதான் என்னுடைய முதல் காதல் தோல்வி, என்னுடைய வெற்றி. இப்படி என் ரத்தத்தில் கலந்ததுதான் இளையராஜாவின் இசை.

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Baiju the rock musician

“Firstly, I am not a trained musician but a self-taught one,” he says. “Music was a part of life at home because my grandfather was a Carnatic musician and my father played the Hawaiian guitar and I grew up with film music – Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi – because my father had a very large collection of audio cassettes. So for me, playing an Ilayaraja song is much easier than playing a Led Zeppelin cover.”

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 pm

youththu MD Sathya

“I update the technology and equipment in my studio to keep abreast of world trends. And, I listen to different genres of global music to learn new styles and trends. All the same, I am still in awe of Ilaiyaraja and A. R. Rahman both of whom I look up to for inspiration,” says Sathya.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:59 pm

T Soundar's article on hindOLam

வழமை போலவே புதுமையை இயல்பூக்கமாக கொண்டியங்கும் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா மரபில் நின்று ராகங்களில் உள்ளுறைகளில் பதுங்கியிருக்கும் அழகுகளை விரித்து , தனது இனிய விந்தை இசையில் பூட்டி , சுதந்திர உணர்ச்சியுடன் பல்வகைப் பாடல்களாக தந்து தமிழ் சினிமா இசையை யாரும் எட்டாத சிகரத்தில் வைத்தார்.

எத்தனை பாடல்கள் எத்தனை வித வித வண்ணங்கள்!தமிழ் ராகங்களின் இனிமையை விண்டுரைக்க முடியாத பல் வகை இசைகளை ஒன்றிணைத்து இசையை நாம் சுவாசிக்கும் உயிர் மூச்சுக் காற்றாக்கிய பெருமை அவருடையது.

அதுமட்டுமல்ல அவற்றை தமிழ் பண்பாட்டு விழுமியங்களுடன் அடையாளம் கண்டு பேச வைத்த பெருமையும் அவரது இசையைச் சாரும்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Thank u app ....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:32 pm

yw UshakkA Smile

Now, an interesting link:

Mahendran's book release function

கோவை, குஜராத்தி சமாஜத்தில் சனிக்கிழமை, இயக்குநர் மகேந் திரனின் ‘சினிமாவும் நானும்’ நூல் அறிமுக விழா நிகழ்ச்சி நடைபெற்றது. இதில், இயக்குநர் மகேந்திரன், பின்னணிப் பாடகி ஜென்ஸி, கவிஞரும் பாடலாசிரியருமான அறிவுமதி, எழுத்தாளர் பாமரன் உள்ளிட்டோர் கலந்து கொண்டனர்.

நிகழ்ச்சியில் இயக்குநர் மகேந்திரன் பேசியதாவது: “மெளனத்தை விட சிறந்த மொழி இருப்பதாகத் தெரியவில்லை. அர்த்தங்களுக்கு ஏற்ப வார்த்தைகள் கிடைப்பதில்லை. அந்தசமயம் எண்ணங்களை, மெளனங்கள் மட்டுமே வெளிப்படுத்தும். ’உதிரிப்பூக்கள்’ போன்ற எனது படங்களில் மெளனம் அதிகமாக இருப்பதாகச் சொல்வார்கள். உண்மைதான், எனது படத்துக்குப் பெரும்பாலும் வசனம் எழுதியது இளையராஜாதான். மெளனங்களை நான் வசனங்களாக வடித்தபோது, இசையால் ஒவ்வொரு இடத்தையும் நிரப்பியவர் இளையராஜா.

100 ஆண்டுகள் கடந்தும் டூயட் பாடல்கள் இருப்பது தமிழ் சினிமாவின் சுமையாக இருக்கிறது. சினிமாவின் இயல்புத் தன்மையை பாடல்கள் கெடுத்து விடும். அதே சமயம், நான் இளையராஜாவின் பாடல்களுக்கு அடிமை. பல நேரங்களில் மன இறுக்கத்துக்கு மருந்தாக இருந்தவை ராஜாவின் பாடல்களே. திரைக்கதை எழுதும் போதும், மனஉளைச்சலை உணரும்போது அவரது இசையும் பாடல்களுமே மனத்தை அமைதிப்படுத்தும். நீங்கள் கேட்க நினைக்கும், அனைத்து கேள்விகளுக்கும் ‘சினிமாவும் நானும்’ புத்தகத்தில் பதில்கள் கூறியுள்ளேன்.

Interesting to see Jensi in a function like this  Surprised 

I remember posting a blog link that had a small portion from this book...should be quite interesting to read...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 am

Restarted the blog on Bharathi's birthday today with the Raaja composed Ninnai Charan Adaindhen.

Tamil write up: http://t.co/uy0ZJ8xofF
English write up: http://t.co/oGglR2GYnc
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:Restarted the blog on Bharathi's birthday today with the Raaja composed Ninnai Charan Adaindhen.

Tamil write up: http://t.co/uy0ZJ8xofF
English write up: http://t.co/oGglR2GYnc

Fantastic!

applause

I'm happy to see you restarting the blog!!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:40 pm

ராசா காலத்து ரசனை மாறிவிட்டது - ரஹ்மான் குமுதம் பேட்டி

கேள்வி:
உலகத்தின் மூலைமுடுக்கு எல்லாம் ஏ.ஆர். புகழ் கொடிகட்டிப் பறந்தாலும் தமிழ்நாட்டில் குக்கிராமத்தில் இன்னும் ஐ.ஆர்.(இளையராஜா) பாட்டுதானே நிறைஞ்சு இருக்கு?

பதில்:
அப்படிச்சொல்ல முடியாது. அவர் பாட்டைக் கேட்கிறாங்க. அதே போல என் பாட்டையும் கேட்டுகிட்டுதான் இருக்கிறார்கள். தமிழ்நாட்டுல எந்தக் கிராமத்துக்கு போனீங்கன்னாலும் என் மியூசிக்கை கேட்காதவர்கள்னு யாரும் இல்ல.

What a humility!
the clap

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Something has happened to this thread Sad

Many pages are missing (and the # of views possibly got reset) Embarassed

Will take up with V_Sji...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajaclan Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:50 am

if it is true then it must be one of the most atrocious interview rahman has given recently. his reply to the question makes me to think he doesnt understand tamil or he is just envious about raja's success. the question implies "though AR popularity is world wide, raja's songs still rules tamilnadu villages" he could've said even his songs are most listened in all parts of india but instead he says people taste has changed and raja "period" music is no more popular. I think ARR forgot that raja is still doing great music and will be doing for years to come.

rajaclan

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:06 am

app_engine wrote:
கேள்வி:
உலகத்தின் மூலைமுடுக்கு எல்லாம் ஏ.ஆர். புகழ் கொடிகட்டிப் பறந்தாலும் தமிழ்நாட்டில் குக்கிராமத்தில் இன்னும் ஐ.ஆர்.(இளையராஜா) பாட்டுதானே நிறைஞ்சு இருக்கு?

பதில்:
அப்படிச்சொல்ல முடியாது. அவர் பாட்டைக் கேட்கிறாங்க. அதே போல என் பாட்டையும் கேட்டுகிட்டுதான் இருக்கிறார்கள். தமிழ்நாட்டுல எந்தக் கிராமத்துக்கு போனீங்கன்னாலும் என் மியூசிக்கை கேட்காதவர்கள்னு யாரும் இல்ல

What a humility!
Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 5 2798411019
Lol. Idhu enna vara vara ARR pechhu IR mAriye Aiyndu varudhu. Nothing wrong. Keep at it I say! Much better than hearing banal platitudes in interview after interview. Kalaignanukku garvam azhagu. I wonder though as to what the ARRtards and "Humility mafia" as Plum likes to call them, have to say about the alarming loss of humility in recent times.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 am

நன்றி app saar Smile ஒரு சிறு கருத்து நேற்று பொறி தட்டியது. இங்கு பகிர்கிறேன். கண்ணம்மா கண்ணனின் பெண் வடிவம் தான் என்பதற்கு எனக்கு ஒரு சான்று என்று கருதுகிறேன். கண்ணன் என்றால் அழகு வடிவம் தான். இரு பாலாரில் பெண்களுக்கு தான் அழகு அதிகம் என்பதையும் ஒப்புக்கொள்வோம். அப்படி பார்க்கையில் கண்ணன் என்ற அழகனின் பெண் வடிவமான கண்ணம்மா பேரழகு பெறுகிறாள். குழந்தைகளும் பேரழகு தான். அப்படி பார்க்கையில் பாரதி கண்ணம்மாவை தன் குழந்தையாக நினைத்து எழுதிய சின்னன் சிறு கிளியே கண்ணம்மாவில் கண்ணம்மாவிற்கு தான் எத்தனை அழகோ அழகு! இதில் ஒரு கற்பனை சுவை இருப்பதை மறுக்க முடியாது.

Also, regarding the missing pages... what the! It was the full 60+ when I posted the link. Also, today I was at a family friend's wedding. Happened to meet my dad's junior from college who is also an REC Trichy almunus ('76-'81 batch. Name's Mahesh). He is a massive IR fan. From Trichy, he was in touch with Gangai Amaran and Ilayaraaja from the early-mid 70s. Recounted a conversation he had with IR around 1975 before IR got a chance in Annakkili. He spoke about the craze of RD Burman and how entire TN was swooning over RDB's music. IR's opinion was he was not averse to RDB's music being popular. In fact, IR approved of RDB and said his tunes will stand time and be popular for even 200 more years (this around '75. Imagine the fall of RDB in the 80s and the RDB wave that followed in the 90s dwarfing everyone in Hindi FM. How prophetic from Raaja). But IR's contention was Tamilians were falling for RDB with MSV waning. Not that it was wrong and that RDB deserved the success even in TN but he was slightly disappointed that when a Northie could reach the patti thottis of hinter land TN, why can a Tamilian not do the same to Tamil music? He said he was waiting for a chance.

What followed was history. Hopefully I will meet this person more often and can garner more Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Looks like the first 67 pages got archived (either by Admin or automatically):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t8-anything-about-ir-found-on-the-net

I missed that locked thread yesterday Embarassed

Well, let me try to rename the current thread as Volume 2 Smile

(Forums often have max limit on # of posts per thread...it is safer to archive beyond 1000 anyways)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 pm

DM,

Interesting anecdote! Re RDB wave in 90s, I take it you mean the RDB nostalogy wave? 

I have a good friend whose younger brother actually studied WCM theory and cello from one of Dhanraj master's students and is now getting an advanced degree in music composition from a prestigious music college in the U.S. In the words of my friend, his brother is an irredeemable IR fanatic Razz (and he is < 25). IR's classical guitar mastery is the stuff of legend in those circles, I am told. In the trinity college performance that led to him being awarded a gold medal, "Avar vAsikkardha pArthu therichittAnga" were the exact words of my friend. Now, I know, that it is not so easy to thericchify these examiners as they see hundreds of great performances throughout the year. So I am guessing (pure speculation) that IR either played an own composition (which is rare) or came up with some kickass arrangement of one of Bach's suites or sonatas or something...

I think I might have also shared this article which appeared a couple of months ago: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Madurai/maestros-name-music-to-his-friends-ears/article4947960.ece. One may doubt the accuracy of the friend's recollections which might well be embellished by nostalgia, but still...

Pity that he is not in touch with playing the guitar anymore! It would have been quite a sight to see him in action.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Nice share fring151, about the gold medal test stuff!

BTW, I've moved my location at workplace to a different team room and found one of the occupants of this new place to be a HCIRF(non-stop talkative Chennai fellow originally from Trichy BHEL area) Smile

He claims to have 3000+ CD-Q rAsA songs! He demo-ed me on his phone with 'nEththu oruththara oruththaru pAththOm' (decent quality I must say).

veRiththanamAna fan with a clear "NO" to other MDs.

And, some 15-20 years younger than me Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:13 am

app_engine wrote:Looks like the first 67 pages got archived (either by Admin or automatically):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t8-anything-about-ir-found-on-the-net

I missed that locked thread yesterday Embarassed

Well, let me try to rename the current thread as Volume 2 Smile

(Forums often have max limit on # of posts per thread...it is safer to archive beyond 1000 anyways)...

Yes I too learned today about the limitations of a thread. Details here: https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t81p15-forum-announcements#12040

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:29 pm

GP for religiously giving us a raaja tribute year after year on SAM graduation concert  the clap 

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:13 pm

James Vasanthan interview

His soothing melodies speak volumes about the die-hard Ilayaraja fan in him.

“He gave a different dimension to film music,” says James Vasanthan. “After hearing M.S. Viswanathan ayya’s songs when I came to a conclusion that no more experiments are possible in film music, his music came like a whiff of fresh air. I was just awestruck hearing the guitar and western music notations. He inspired me into film music,” he says.
Hearing the songs of Azhage Unnai Aarathikiren and Ilamai Oonjaladukirathu, he further strengthened his passion to compose music. “At that time coffee bar culture was rampant. I used to bunk classes and sit for hours to listen to Ilayaraja’s songs.”
Belonging to the Ilayaraja School of music, he believes in creating soulful songs. His item song ‘Jilla Vittu’ in Eesan created that magic with its earthy feel. “Item songs need not necessarily be harsh. There is a tinge of sadness that has turned out to be the USP of the song.”

James Vasanthan feels that it would be difficult to see another music legend coming up in present scenario. “If a person has to reach that status, he has to survive in the industry for at least 25 years. Take for instance the films released and number of music directors introduced last year – around 160 films and 58 new music directors. I seriously doubt whether they will get second chance to be remembered,” he logically argues.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Kamal answer's rAsA's kostin

அனைத்துக் கேள்விகளுக்கும் தனது பாணியில் பதில் சொன்ன கமலிடம் இளையராஜா கேட்ட கேள்வி:

"உலக சினிமாவிலிருந்து தமிழ்சினிமா விலகியிருக்கு... உடம்பிலிருந்து கண்ணு தனித்து போயிருக்குமா? உலக சினிமாவுடன் தமிழ் சினிமா ஏன் ஒட்டல? ஒட்டுறதுக்கு நீங்க என்ன பண்றீங்க?"

இந்த கேள்விக்கு கமல் அளித்த பதில்: "கொஞ்சம் தமிழ் சினிமாவுக்கு ஒன்ற கண்ணு. அதை விட்ருங்க. இந்த பக்கம் பாக்குறா மாதிரி இருக்கும் ஆனா அந்த பக்கம் பாத்துகிட்டிருக்கும். அதை கேலி பண்ண கூடாது. கண்ணாடி போட்டா சரியாகிடும். நான் தனியா ஒன்னும் செய்ய முடியாது. எல்லாரும் எல்லா சினிமாவும் பாக்கணும். அதுக்கு தான் இந்த வாய்ப்பு (சர்வதேச திரைப்பட விழா).

உலக சினிமாவைப் பார்க்கும் ஒரு சாதகமாக இதை பயன்படுத்திக் கொள்ள வேண்டும். இதில் பங்குகொள்ளும் தகுதியை இனிமேல் தான் தமிழ்சினிமா அடையவேண்டும்.

ஓரிருவரை வைத்துக்கொண்டு எத்தனை நாள் மார்தட்டிக்கொள்ளமுடியும். மொத்தமாக பார்க்கும்போது மோசமில்லை என்ற நிலை உருவாகவேண்டும். மக்களுக்குப் பிடிக்காது என்று பணப்பை வைத்திருப்பவர்கள் தயங்குவார்கள். ஆனால் இயக்கம், கேமரா என சினிமா தெரிந்தவர்கள் வரும்போது தமிழ்சினிமா மேலோங்கி நிற்கும்," என்றார்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 am

fring151 wrote:DM,

Interesting anecdote! Re RDB wave in 90s, I take it you mean the RDB nostalogy wave? 

Yeah. Even for ARR, it took Lagaan to become a popular favorite. Roja, Taal, Rangeela meant he was very popular but I think only Lagaan took him to the patti thottis of North. RDB was pretty much ruling North Indian sensibilities on music in the 90s. Also, a film itself was made on that premise, Jhankaar Beats. I don't think any composer has had that on him, a film made on his music nostalgia (wth! I wrote nostalogy in one flow without being sarcastic), save Ilayaraaja when we had an unreleased film in 1980 called Ilayarajavin Rasigai which had music by Raaja himself, possibly a one-off case in world cinema when a composer's name was used to make a film during his time (after all 4 yrs after his arrival. zomg! Also had this personal favorite sung by Raaja himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5RqfXUqXcc) with his music. So ya, it was the RDB nostalgia wave that the person was talking about. Also, he made another point on Sigappu Rojakkal. The film was a silver jubilee in TN and was being made in Hindi. Distributors didn't accept Raaja coming to score music (a newbie and they had their marketing concerns) and stuffed RDB on a then-IR's-close-friend-Bharathiraja. Songs were composed and shot when BR called IR to do the BGM since RDB was awestruck by the original score and conceded he couldn't emulate it (miratchi was the exact word used). IR refused saying he'd only do a full film and not what had songs from another composer, even if it is RDB, when distributors had discarded him first and now came on RDB's approval.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next