Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jukebox - what's playing?

+18
fring151
crimson king
Usha
rajkumarc
HonestRaj
Sridhar
writeface
sagi
Wizzy
skr
V_S
Admin
app_engine
Michael AF
Bala (Karthik)
plum
jaiganesh
kv
22 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Jukebox - what's playing? - Page 4 Empty Re: Jukebox - what's playing?

Post  Wizzy Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 pm

this time milli got exposed big time, he chose a wrong album(NEPV) to dump his akhand bharat/world music rhetoric, pudkila maamu could very well replace elay keechan and still ARtards would find a way to fit it in the world music map.
also why is the success in 4 southern states is taken for granted, AR for all his pan-Indianess couldn't muster a straight hit in other 3 'south' states.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 pm

I was totally irritated by his post. From that post, we can clearly interpret that his #1 choice of composer and album (NEPV) was not a honest choice. Also if you see, he wants to justify everything for ARR despite of his known compromises, but without any reasons he wants to take a dig at IR immediately after his earlier post. See how is he justifying ARR's music about originality, world music and universal et al, but he still wants to maintain IR as south composer. Has he defended IR anytime like this high? Always try to put him down at any cost. First of all putting IR in the same or lesser pedestal than ARR causes so much discomfort in me. I cannot bear all this. His views are so shallow that it will only cause more discomfort in discussing with him. Atleast now through this post, we came to know his true colors. The most irritating part is they call themselves as IR fans. IR fans will never let IR down.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:36 pm

V_S - as I said, avaru pozhappa pArkuRArunga. Site hit-ku IR vENum but site-hit-ku ARR-um vENum.

The best thing both ARR and IR fans can do is to boycott the site as there is no honesty in the site owner.

Regarding, placing both on same pedestal, many people baulk at IR as arrogant for not reacting to ARR's Padma Bhushan on same day as him
In my books, ARR was arrogant for blandly wishing IR for his Bhushan as if IR getting the PB on the same day was what he deserved.

Truly humble chap would have noted how it has been delayed.
idhellAm yArum solla mAttAnga.

(Softsword ingE varadhaiyE niRuthittAr - romba bash paNdrOmO lol!)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Exactly plum! I will make sure I never go that site anymore. My last comment there.
Karthik,
I don't mind how you build your lists and what are your interests, but I certainly get irritated when you bring down Raja in front of others just because you assume that he has never gone beyond these 4 states. That was hugely humiliating for any Raja fan. That also shows how you approach Raja's music. I have so many concerns and complaints about ARR and his style of music, but I don't want to speak here, as I would be doing the same as you did in your post.

Please remember to restrict/avoid any controversies at the source itself, rather than hurting yourselves and blaming others for it aftermath. For your careless post, I have to take the blame for 'childish retort', that's fine with me.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Attended Audio Launch of Karthikraja's "Srivilliputhur Andal", an experimental CD with plain verses of a Andal Devotee set to music. Yuvan has sung a "classical" song.

nallAvE irukku.
Organisersta kEttu online link kodukkaREn.

Aside:
After the event, I saw someone talking to another saying "I am a Karthikraja fan".
I turned to him and said "So you are Mumbairamki"
He was stunned and asked how.
I said "ulagathula reNdE rendu karthikraja fan dhAn. oNNu nAn. So, nInga Mumbairamkiya dhAn irukka mudiyin LOL"

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Phish, the most important band in contemporary times. Underrated/unknown, sadly

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:52 pm

KV எங்க ஆளையே காணோம், இந்நேரம் மணம் முடிச்சு திரும்ப வந்திருக்கணுமே. Wizzy also missing?

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Eric Clapton - "White Room", from the Royal Albert Hall concert in 1990. Powerhouse song and Incredible solo #guitargod

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Another beauty from that concert. Again, wonderful solo. In fact, the whole concert is fantastic, a compulsive favorite in school

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 am

A late discovery this year..

Passion Pit - Gossamer - "Take a walk"

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Last min decision to attend the ARR concert and i managed to. First of all i didnt have tickets and behold they were issuing 3000 re tickets for 500 bucks..The organisation was very shoddy and poor. They didnt have chairs for about 40 % category of those who brought high priced tickets and obviously majority of them were agitated and a mini ruckus was going on..to add to the drama it was raining..But thankfully it stopped and when ARR arrived there was a deafening roar..Frankly never before have i seen this much craze, frenzy, hysteria and madness for anybody before..Rahmans popularity stake is still at an all time high and it was unimaginable..You would have to see it to believe it..Coming to the songs some of the medleys were nicely performed and enjoyable and ARR kept the energy throughout the concert..Also we had most of the kadal songs which received a raptourous response..the disappointments for me were there were some minus 1 songs, some of my favourite vintage rahman songs of 90s werent performed..the thing i didnt like at all was having a different rock kind of feel for legendary songs like Kadhal Rojave, Nenjinile etc.. the essence of the song was totally diluted and infact spoilt, for me spending just rs 500 i thought i had my moneys worth, but those who had spent 3000 and above to sit through the event without a chair i felt was very unfair..The final song of the evening was the landmark Thaai Manne Vanakkam which the audience lapped up..Many of us were standing on the chairs and cheering..ARR s infectious smile was evident throughout..Overall was a decent experience but felt it cud have been much better with a well thought out selection of songs and a little extra care in organising the event..

Adding the comment made by Mr Chandrasekhar Ranganathan , guitarist of Ilaya Nila on mentioning of minus one.
"Some -one songs !All the tracks are played from the Hard Disk !The musicians are puppets !Their sounds will not be heard outside !"

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 am

I know a Rahman song isn't really about the tune and there's a lot more to it...still, this NenjukuLLE, does it remind one of "sandhangaL neeyAnAl...sangeeetham nAnAvEn"(tune) or what?

Overall, #fail only. Rahman is reaching a stage where the basic tune is getting functional, and the pleasures are surrounding the tune itself. This is fine, but not much sop for non-fans. I think there has been a post-NEPV("we have to show our strength") kind of reaction to Kadal from Rahman fans...at least, that's how it seems to me. Or, perhaps, ARR fans I know (ranging over a vast tract of the world and virtual world, so not really one-dimensional) aren't articulate enough...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sridhar Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 am

Muthamizhe
En Veetu Jannal
Muthirai ippodhu
Unnai yedhir paarthen
Ilavattam
Satham varamal

- For the past 5 days, pure bliss!
Sridhar
Sridhar

Back to top Go down

Post  HonestRaj Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Sridhar wrote:Muthamizhe
En Veetu Jannal
Muthirai ippodhu
Unnai yedhir paarthen
Ilavattam
Satham varamal

- For the past 5 days, pure bliss!

my 5 list for past few days..

* un parvaiyil oar aayiram
* pottu vaitha oru vatta nila
* innum ennai enna seyya pogiraai
* paatha kolusu paattu paadi varum
* poo maalaiyeh thoaL sera vaa

GOD is GREAT.... Arrow
HonestRaj
HonestRaj

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:35 pm

neRaiya thread catchup paNNanum app. medhuva thAn varuvom pOla

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 pm

plum wrote:I know a Rahman song isn't really about the tune and there's a lot more to it...still, this NenjukuLLE, does it remind one of "sandhangaL neeyAnAl...sangeeetham nAnAvEn"(tune) or what?

Overall, #fail only. Rahman is reaching a stage where the basic tune is getting functional, and the pleasures are surrounding the tune itself. This is fine, but not much sop for non-fans. I think there has been a post-NEPV("we have to show our strength") kind of reaction to Kadal from Rahman fans...at least, that's how it seems to me. Or, perhaps, ARR fans I know (ranging over a vast tract of the world and virtual world, so not really one-dimensional) aren't articulate enough...

None of you told me but my wife was the siva perumAn who answered my aiyapAdu today inadvertently

She had no idea of Kadal songs as she is not a buff.

Today I was humming Nenjukulle, as she was entering the room I was in. The exchange went like this

Me: Nenjukulle..
Her: Sangeetham
Me: Ummai mudinjirukkEn
Her: NeevaithE

How does it answer my question?

That is nothing but the telugu lines for sandhangaL neeyAnAl from Sippi Irukkudhu.

My Ragavan instinct :collarlift:

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 am

For these kind of films, one cannot ignore the fact that if Maestro had handled this subject, how it would be? Listening to Manjaadikuru (2012) malayalam film songs. The film is set in 1970s in rural Kerala. Here is the complete detail of the film. Wonderful story. Very nostalgic. A young debutant director Anjali Menon directed this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manjadikuru

The songs were composed by Ramesh Narayanan (makaramanju fame). All songs very good and brings warmth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glwi_9qmedY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsa8gP6vvSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g06iEfX-_U (by Chitra, beautiful one!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-kC5PPNe4

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 am

Please don't miss this one, crazy stuff!

ubayam: bala (karthik) thankyou saar

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm

The first voice I grew up and warmed up with when I was a kid is Shri P B Srinivas. Another reason being my uncle. He is a big fan of Hemant Kumar, Talat Mahmood and P B Srinivas singing. If you hear, their voices would be quite similar and soft which is also a reason for my uncle's liking. Whenever we used to visit his home, their songs would only be continuously played without fail. That's also the main reason I developed a strong liking in P B Srinivas songs and chose to sing his songs during my college farwell and also in my marriage. I get a gentle breezy feeling whenever I listened to/sing his songs. Any stress would be immediately cleared when I listen to his songs. I attribute my liking towards PBS songs to my uncle. I had recorded two T-90 cassettes exclusively for PBS songs which I used to listen very often then.

When TMS and P Susheela were ruling, PBS had his own path of melodies. He had his own cozy fans, not staunch like former fans. How could we describe his ever adorable inbam pongum veNNilaa veesuthE (from Veerapaandiya kattabomman composed beautifully by G Ramanathan)? NaaLaam naaLaam thirunaaLaam is by far one of my most favorite duet of all times. And that anubavam puthumai, unga ponnnaana kaigaL puNNaagalama and maadi meLE all songs from Kaadhalikka nEramillai briskly composed by V-R. No one can miss his indha mandraththil Odi varum, thaamarai KaNNangal, rOja malarE raajakumari, kaalangaLil avaL vasantham, valarntha kathai maranthu vittaal keLada kaNNa, mounamE paarvaiyaal, oruththi oruvanai ninaiththuvittaal and countless divine gems not just in thamizh, but also in Kannada, Telugu and malayalam. The gentle shades and colors PBS brought out in each of these compositions is unconquerable.

Time goes off in a jiff, but the voice of these singers stay beyond the time machine. It's time to rewind all his classics and remember him for the wonderful moments he given us. His passing away is a great loss to playback singing and music. May God bless his soul to rest in peace.

manithan enbavan dheivam aagalam
vaari vaari vazhangumpOdhu vaLLalaagalam
vaazhai pOla thannai thanthu thyaagi aagalam
uruhi Odum mezhugu pOla oLiyai veesalam...

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed May 08, 2013 4:26 am

It was hectic couple of weeks both at work and during weekends and seems like it will continue for couple of months. This one came as a breather. Last Sunday I spent one of my most memorable evening of my life at Troy Bharathiya Temple. Dr. Balamurali Krishna captured us with his baritone voice and in-genuine singing. Unlike others, he sang his own compositions, which has become a rarity even among youngsters. We keep hearing only the same krithis again and again, but with Dr. BMK, he makes an effort to sing at-least one or two of his own compositions. What amazed me more is even at this age of 83 his voice and skills are intact. I never heard of any other classical singer who can make us laugh during their singing. It will mostly be a serious stuff, but he made us all feel very light and well connected to him. Same way I never seen a singer who can extract so much work from his accompanists. Thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Blessed to have seen him.

Here are the audio files of the concert. I left couple of songs, one being thillana (at the end) where the audience noise was pronounced and frequent which made me little difficult to record clearly.
Amma Anandha Dayini in Gambhiranatai and Omkara Karini in Lavangi are his own compositions. Quality is not that great, but definitely audible.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o8iif3tit3d6f0y
http://www.mediafire.com/?j2ftf121lii89zt

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed May 15, 2013 3:33 am

How is the Mariyaan songs folks? Very Happy

Bala/KV said in twitter that they liked the ShakthiShree song. I haven't had a chance to listen to them.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed May 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Nerd,
I listened only three songs. NenjE ezhu, nEtru avaL and enga pOna raasa, but all three failed on me. I have already expressed nenjE ezhu is not my cup of tea as it has more of a 'we are the world' kind of feel and genre. First of all I don't like we are the world song, so does this one. Also there are more repeating phrases than anything novel. nEtru avaL and enga pOna raasa I cannot classify them as songs, it goes on and on without returning back with no structure at all and could not end the charanams convincingly. Melody lacks depth, it happens so frequently in his songs nowadays (just because of the western pop melody limitations). Another biggest complaint in all of these are there are not much interludes. Also I don't like the way they sang the songs especially nEtru avaL and enga pOna raasa. As if we need to amplify our ears to hear what they are singing, so husky and mushy with lot of air and very stylish to the native lyrics. I don't know why can't they sing openly a pathos song?. Is it a crime? Only good thing about enga pOna raasa is the guitar work which goes as a counter-melody to the main melody. Having said all this, blame it on my taste. Keeping my fingers crossed on the rest 4 songs. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks ji as always. I will listen and post my views..

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon May 20, 2013 6:51 am

Is the nenjE ezhu phrase = engE avaL ( as in engE avaL..thEdinEn AvalAi Odi vA )

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next