Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jukebox - what's playing?

+18
fring151
crimson king
Usha
rajkumarc
HonestRaj
Sridhar
writeface
sagi
Wizzy
skr
V_S
Admin
app_engine
Michael AF
Bala (Karthik)
plum
jaiganesh
kv
22 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Jukebox - what's playing? - Page 3 Empty Re: Jukebox - what's playing?

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Listening to Kadal album. By now, it's pretty obvious to completely ignore the milieu while listening to the songs.
Just started... Definitive Rahman 2.0
I get why Equa referred to Delhi 6 while talking about this. Not hitting that high yet. Moongil Thottam is very interesting and extremely evocative.
Need more time to assimilate and come to terms with

Nenjukulle - repulsed by the vocals not sure if I want to revisit
Keechu kiliye - tune not working. Reggae, cavuntry, afro laam Ok, so?
Adiye - started. Again, nera blues song-e ketturalaame. Idha vida sirappa irukkum. Inga table ku enna eduthuttu varappatrukku? Edhukkum innum sila pala times kekkanum pola

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:52 pm

I cant place my fingers on it - but indha ElE keechAn songla kuralla oru egathALam theriyudhu...idhu dhANdA weld music, idhai dhAndA nInga kEkkaNumgarA mAdhiri oru egathtALam..who is the singer? (Rahman mAdhiri irukku)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:Adiye - started. Again, nera blues song-e ketturalaame. Idha vida sirappa irukkum.
Bala,
That was a nice and short review. The above quoted one is the same thought/complaint I had (right from JTYJN days). Same applies to elE keechaan. In elE keechan lyrics were murdered, just to give that country/reggae touches. Why would I listen to Rahman on these genres (I also mean the melody/tune in this genre, not just the orchestration in this genre), when I have already listened 100s like this and these are already done. May be many Indians have not been exposed to these (which is difficult for me to believe anyway in this age) and that's where he scores. I happened to read P_R, dinesh and raagavendran's views there and they exactly reflected what I had to say.

To answer plum's question, Two good things about keechan is even it does not have any surprises in the tune or orchestration, it flows on and on like a 'kadal' (but it quite a long song, sometimes feel when it will end). Second one is the innocent voice of Rahman.

Last edited by V_S on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Singer's Rahman Plum . Well, the whole album is a piss down on Tamil. It's clearly NOT for whom we would think it is.
Suriya hater language la sollanumna "look ma look at my maapla genre talends. Checklist check"
Moongil Thottam is interesting, like I said. Not the Rahman I love but he is on to something here (adhavadhu oru end user-a enakku work aaguradha solren. karuthu solren nu nenachura koodaadhu)

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Adiye - listened again. Idhu bongu pa. Ok, blues and gospel. Straight from the template, checklist checked. Can't help but go back to that question what the hell is it doing here? And Ok, you don't want anything remotely Tamil in the tune and sandham. Granted but why have a wimpy north Indian voice? Go for the real deal man. Get a black from the delta area

BTW, the extra drumming that comes in the high pitch can NOT come in a blues based song. Not done, dhayavu seidhu rules pesaadheenga.

Last edited by Bala (Karthik) on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Can't help but think of Vaangum panathukkum from Dhoni. Hmmm

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm

idhukkum badhil vechurukkArunga Sivam

"Delta voiceE dhAn vENumA? Thanjai Selvi pAdhinA dhAN othukuvIngaLA?"

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm

And what the fuck do BR/Steeni mean harmony was never done like this?!!!
Thiruvaasagathukku tea innum varla

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:And Ok, you don't want anything remotely Tamil in the tune and sandham.
Why it is ok? Smile Is it not a thamizh song?
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Keechaan is purely hook based. Happy to reconsider if other nuances are pointed out

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm

V_S wrote:
Bala (Karthik) wrote:And Ok, you don't want anything remotely Tamil in the tune and sandham.
Why it is ok? Smile Is it not a thamizh song?
Adhellam neenga kekkakoodaadhu saar. Rights illa. Rules break panna vonaava? Summa Tamil, sandham nuttu

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm

plum wrote:"Delta voiceE dhAn vENumA? Thanjai Selvi pAdhinA dhAN othukuvIngaLA?"
I read that too. I don't understand one thing with all these. With all these huge compromises you want to listen and praise sky high about these compositions without wanting leave your idol down (which I appreciate), yet you don't want to even commit a single line on some worthy compositions from others.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

In fact, the greatest piss down is having VM's fruity lines. Lyrics laam romba paakkuradhilla but what I mean is its like an inside joke. Idhukku vaali madhiri free lyrics vecha kooda pallu athana koosaadhu

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:That's Chinmayification of the most promising singer of the generation. Yaaro hindi /brahmins singer nu nenachen (tamil theriyaadha)

My biggest grouse w.r.to songs is, quoting Raaja from Puttril vaazh aravum anjEl, "pirichchu pirichchu varudhE". Sample these lines from the song -

seeeett ram yeeeettt rum for சீற்றம் ஏற்றும்

poo pooththi daadhO for பூ பூத்திடாதோ

This has sort of become a signature for Rahman V2.0 (O... dum neee.. ril). En veettu thOttaththil ellaam avvaLavu azhagaa pOtta Rahman-ai engE thEduvEn..

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Btw, chanced upon aahaa kaadhal konji konji pEsuthE from MPMK(?). Whatay beety. Junior, sooper. Sugary sweet but at least oru 6 maasam thaangum. This and moongil thOttam will be my choices for the top song of this year. Non-Raaja of course.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm

^checking out Aaha kaadhal

Attn skr/vs sir
Is this song based on Bageshree raagam by any chance?

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:39 am

Btw that siththirai nelaa from kadal is bloody hilarious. VJY sings about some 'standing day' (nikkiRa dE) lol!

Mani saar varalainnaa vittrunga.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 am

Bala,
Adhu maadhiri thaan theriyudhu. Aana bahudari maadiriyum irukku. Will confirm again. My reference to bhagesri is mayakkum maalai pozhuthE po po from Kulebhagavali and malarukku thendral from enga veettu piLLai. No words to thank KVM sir and MSV sir. Yuvan has done a tremendous job by bringing the essence out of the raagam, without deviating much and losing the essence. The interludes are fantastic. While the violins are pure classical, flute which follows it gives a light-classical feel. The structure is very tight which I like very much and the way he finishes the charanam is very good. The violin touches when she sings the pallavi is too good. That second interlude violins is one of the highlight of the song which brings out the raagam very well. That ending, wow! Yuvan, way to go!
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 am

Bahudari thaan sir atleast to me. I could remind of Appa's entha poovilum vaasam undu. Konjam ulta pannina aahaa kaadal konji konji pEsuthE. Antha violin touches kamichi kodhuthiruchi. puthu uravu puthu ninaivu...lala...lala..hey hey hey..

Sadandanda Thandavam by Lalgudi GJR Krishnan (second from this list). Atleast we can relate this violin piece to the above song.
http://mio.to/list_albums/i/11-Classical_Carnatic_Instrumental/8326-Bahudari/#/album/11-Classical_Carnatic_Instrumental/23599-December_Season_2004/
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:43 pm

Bala ,

I strongly feel it is Sriranjini (close to Bhageshree) but the singer Nandini has tweeted saying its Karnataka Khamas which is very close to Bahudhari ..Absolutely fantastic song by Yuvan , i would say its one of his best ever ..

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Wizzy ,

Are you attending the ARR show this Sat ?

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Nerd wrote:
Bala (Karthik) wrote:That's Chinmayification of the most promising singer of the generation. Yaaro hindi /brahmins singer nu nenachen (tamil theriyaadha)

My biggest grouse w.r.to songs is, quoting Raaja from Puttril vaazh aravum anjEl, "pirichchu pirichchu varudhE". Sample these lines from the song -

seeeett ram yeeeettt rum for சீற்றம் ஏற்றும்

poo pooththi daadhO for பூ பூத்திடாதோ

This has sort of become a signature for Rahman V2.0 (O... dum neee.. ril). En veettu thOttaththil ellaam avvaLavu azhagaa pOtta Rahman-ai engE thEduvEn..

in fact, in that hilarious Jaya TV deepavali sinnammayi interview, Nithyashree munvaithufied a similar karuththu...in as sugary a tone and choice of words as possible...Cant even remember what Rahman replied..Edho mazhuppitApla...infact, now I think of it, mostly it was SJSurya types "aNNan baniyan size 42" and "aNNE adheppadi 42 size baniyan pOduRInga" questions, and whatever left, like Nithyasree's perceptive question, was side-stepped.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:18 pm

skr wrote:Wizzy ,

Are you attending the ARR show this Sat ?

nope, temple bound Neutral

milli back to arrmp3 days Laughing

One of my (personal) favorite reasons for running Milliblog the way it is, is to help break the language barrier in India, when it comes to music. I’m asked this very often – ‘how many languages do you speak?’. To answer that question, I can read/write/speak English, Tamil and Hindi. I can understand generous dollops of Kannada, Malayalam and Telugu.
This, however, does not come in the way of my listening to music in languages that I have little/zero knowledge of. I believe what most people are uncomfortable with music in new languages is not about comprehending what is being sung – it seems more about not being able to relate to what is being sung because it simply sounds strange. I usually argue that while lyrics and language are indeed important, the sound is a lot more pertinent when it comes to music. Yes, knowing the lyrics and understanding them would be a great deal, but I’m from the school which feels that music has no boundaries, particularly of the linguistic kind.

To be fair, there are kinds of music that you need to know the context of, to understand or appreciate them. This may seem controversial, but the one of the reasons why Ilayaraja’s music remained within the 4 Southern states and only to select Westerners who were evolved enough to appreciate the nuances (and not masses outside South India) is perhaps because it is deeply rooted in local detailing and context. That is exactly the reason why Rahman’s music transcended boundaries so easily – Roja’s music, for instance, could easily be transplanted anywhere in the world. Raja used his skills mighty well in the 4 Southern states, but doesn’t seem to be keen to expand beyond that – it’s almost as if he wants people to make an effort to come to his level of musical awareness, depending on where he roots them. Rahman, on the other hand seems specifically interested in breaking the contextual barriers that define regional sounds and is perhaps going intentionally after a more universal sound. This line of thought goes well with the current, connected generation, regardless of where they are based or which language they speak. This could be one way to explain the line of defense used by Raja fans to put down Rahman’s music – ‘where is the nativity in Kadal?’ seemed one such question. It is a fairly meaningful question if you see it from the context of other ‘sea-fishermen’ films in Tamil, but not when you’re out to produce something that you believe is universal. Like in marketing, music production too has become a function of targeting audiences.

When the music of Kadal recently released, people who have no knowledge of Tamil were going gaga over some of the songs. That… is the kind of musical pursuit that I strive for, via Milliblog. This blog is nothing but a tiny speck in fanning that level of multilingual music interest, but when I get someone saying that they have never heard Telugu songs and liked a Telugu song because Milliblog recommended it, it feels like this blog is actually working.

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2012/12/22/milliblog-india-top-10-2012/
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I think he is having an eye on the commerce of his site. #1-la NEPV vandhadhukku mirattal vandhirukkum inimE un site-ai seendha mAttOmnu. adi madila kai vechurppAnga - adhukku oru parigAram. Seems very forced and EdhO oNNu Rahman#1-nu solRadhukkunnE ezhudhapatta posttu...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Infact, I feel NEPV #1-E IR fans moththamA site-ai boycott paNNa koodAdhunnu calculatedA pOttA mAdhiri dhAn enakku theriyudhu
(EnnA Internet-ai poRuththa varaikkin, site hit vENumnA IR fans are an important demographic illaiyA?)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next