Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jukebox - what's playing?

+18
fring151
crimson king
Usha
rajkumarc
HonestRaj
Sridhar
writeface
sagi
Wizzy
skr
V_S
Admin
app_engine
Michael AF
Bala (Karthik)
plum
jaiganesh
kv
22 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Jukebox - what's playing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Jukebox - what's playing?

Post  sagi Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:23 pm

kv wrote:Dhinakkudha from Pizza; music by Santosh Narayanan (who debuted in attakathi).

When the credits read Gana Bala as the vocalist, I was expecting another earthy gaana song but Santosh twists the idea on its head! Turns out that the song is, yougottafuckinbelievethis, jazz! And Gana Bala does a Louis Armstrong and pulls it off really welll! The trumpets and guitars (with a lovely lead) are splendid!
Santosh... nee nalla varuva thambi!

raaga.com/player4/?id=347099&mode=100&rand=0.811382545856759

Don't know how to put it but I only get a feel of amateur garage band in this song and in attakkaththi songs. I mean I like the idea of trying to stay true to the genre but the output is not very imaginative. And I am (we are) accustomed to one man's mindbending improvizations, taking the best out of everything and serving us on a platter etc.

On the amateurishness point, most new MDs struggle with this. I mean their songs can pass off as little kids playing with some electronic, (acoustic in case of Santosh Narayanan & K to some extent) tools, coming up with something catchy. But there is one exception, this Anirudh dude, a mere wannabe Rahman but his packaging and output sounds professional. I am not a fan of the "3" songs by the way but one can call it anything but not "amateurish". Anyway I like the path Santosh Narayanan is taking, hoping he gets only better from here.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Latest earworm - Oru thuLi vishamaai from AadhiBhagwan. ShreyaG and one thamizh kolai male singer. Junior, supperappu. And ShreyaG brilliant as usual.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dWRkoETuZc

I say there is something inherently sweet with the language Telugu Very Happy
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43 pm

The final swagger act is such an tastefully done set piece of a song.

Arrive @ the club, Show the badge.
Show the GUN, Yell Open the Door.
Eyeball the Giant bouncer as you pass the door
Walk into the disco crowd
Eye the target, move the bimbo aside
Open FIRE, Terrorize the party.
Walk like a COP.

Twisted Evil

The entire careers of HJ&GM are salvaged forever. You've guys been redeemed of all your cinematic sins if you have committed any.
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Cool
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Twisted Evil
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Very Happy Smile
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Been a few weeks of death march at work with this week being the shittiest...
இந்த சூழ்நிலைக்கேற்ப இனிமையான, இதமான Metallica மெல்லிசை பாடல்களை கேட்டுக்களித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Keechan from north atlantic perum kadal, kuru kuru from couples retreat redux with aama,yela thrown in

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Moongil Thottam, Adiye - Selected from Kadal. Beautiful songs.

All others rejected.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Yes, Moongil thOttam is gorgeous, especially the tune, wonderfully carved. That accordian at the end of second interlude, superb! Somehow violin sound appear little unclear. Next is Anbin Vaasale, brings the church and bells in front of us. Superb energy from Haricharan and terrific choir harmony, except I had difficulty hearing what they were singing. Seems to me like the choir part is smeared making it hard to hear the lyrics. Is it the recording? Great song! NenjukkuLLE, already spoken about that, again a gorgeous song, let down by alien orchestration and stylish singing. AdiyE is not my cup of tea, as I have heard so many songs like this during 80s/90s. I hate that off-pitch singing like Whitney, Maroon 5 and the American Idol kind of stuff. Chithira Nela is ok, but the tune is very bland to my taste. Ele Keechan again the tune is bland and goes like it has no destination (may be because sea has no other end, it didn't invoke our seashores), no surprises too.

So my pick is Moongil thOttam and Anbin Vaasale. Overall too much western flavor in the tune and singing for a movie named 'kadal'. Many think nothing like this done before and all in the sense for a movie around fisherman the songs are totally alienated. Is it a proud thing? We have to think. Other than that, the tunes are flat with not much surprises in the orchestration/interludes except the above two. For me tune is very important (and have our touch) to further enjoy the song. It would be interesting to see the plot and how songs sync to the film. I tend to remember Vicky's comments (answering to the question correctly). If it does not happen, to me it's an azhuvini (bOngu) aattam. Smile Definitely a great album, way way better than Ravanan and Enthiran. Hit and blockbuster is written all over it for this generation, I am too far from it! Going back to Maaripeelikaatte, the music of fishermen!
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:40 am

This is what I am talking about. One song gets us closer to the sea of our land and its people with its serene Indian melody, while the another one takes us farther away from our people and land. I gave Kadal songs (all of them) to one of my colleague (American) without giving any indication what it is about. He was immediate in his appreciating that he liked them a lot. He really liked AdiyE, ele keechan and nenjukuLLE. I asked him why? He said, it was his kind of songs, except the lyrics.The melody (tune) were very familiar to him and that's why. I then gave him Maaripeelikaate to see what he tells. He was totally bowled over and said he never heard anything like that. Melody is outstanding and said that it is already on loop and been humming it for a while. He thanked me a lot. He even told me that the melody is totally different from what he hears there.

Great visuals and see how the music syncs to the visuals. Maestro would have hardly taken time to compose this, yet his grasp is very powerful, deep and grounded.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 am

^its puzzling/shows how even after 20yrs in the industry AR hasn't been pushed out of his comfort zone.
ARtards wouldn't waste any time to minnowbash HJ for the same reason Laughing
he is yet to partake newline TFI directors which has stagnated his growth as MD so whenever a new album releases his fanbois/reviewers waste no time to flag the caveat of 'world music' /break the rulez/Jazzz based mumbojumbos to patch over these cracks. given this conundrum even if Mani had just reused the tracks from Thirada Thiruda/AE in Kadal, it wouldn't seem/be out of place.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Wizzy,
What I have been telling in paragraphs, you just told it in one line. Thank you! Whether we like it or not, he is the torch bearer for today's generation music directors and music listeners. If he creates a trend, every one wants to follow it. More than he following the contemporary western path, I see he is giving a very easy and wrong path to all music directors of today. I can definitely say composing in these western genre is far more easy (as we don't have to care much for the tune/melody) than composing taking a raga based one. Because of this every Tom, Dick and Harry have enough confidence to carry the keyboards on their shoulders.

Music composing is not that simple. We have rich heritage and millions of raaga and thousands of native genres. For Raja it is spontaneous, so even though he repeats the same raaga, we can see totally different shades in every composition. Same way even now with Maaripeelikaate he composed in a rare raaga (first time ever) called Vajrakanti (thanks to KV for finding this), but it was not a conscious effort for Raja, but he does not leave these basics even with spontaneity.

On the other hand, we have Rahman who makes every move consciously and also takes huge time in composing. Only one question/concern I have is in the time taken and in the output delivered. I believe he does not concentrate much on the situation as his recent songs tells that clearly. I don't think he gives 10-20 songs for the director to make their decisions on the spot. Even if we discount all that, why is he not taking the same time in composing a song based on our Indian raaga (and adding his touch in that), rather than going western way all the time. Does he feel cheap in touching this? If he says, it has already been done by other composers, that would only show his inability to come up with something new given the millions of permutations our raaga has. If he is able to do something in western genres which has been beaten to death by westeners, why not give precedence to our music and come with something new? Will anyone reject it? Can he not do it? As wizzy said, does he not want to come out of this comfort zone? I don't understand that. Just imagine if he does that, then every other music director would be tempted to do that (many might find it hard too) and it might even turn our music industry back to the roots. Certainly this western trend is causing so much tedium.

V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm

I haven't listened to many soundtracks this year, but out of those I listened these are my favorite soundtracks (apart from IR's works) this year.
1. Ivan Megharoopan
2. GOW 1 & 2*
3. Barfi
4. Thalsamayam Oru Penkutty
5. Kumki
6. Thattathin Marayathu

Sharreth is in terrific form. Ivan Megharoopan tunes even trumps NEPV tunes. VishukiLi, Nisha surabhi, Ande londe and Anuraagini are everlasting. I even wanted him to bag some big awards for this masterpiece. He should compose for more films. He is not given much chances. But the biggest surprise this year is Pritam's Barfi. I never imagined Pritam can score like this (hoping it is done by him). Brings back great nostalgia of 60s bollywood. Kumki is Imman's best, no doubt and Shaan Rahman's thattathin marayathu is good for a new comer. GOW 1 & 2 are quite different from mainstream songs. Great work by Sneha Khanwalkar. There are other soundtracks which has one or two great songs, but overall, the above soundtracks had more number of great songs.

How about yours? Did I miss any great soundtracks this year (I should have obviously)?

PS: Thanks to Karthik (milliblog) for introducing most of these soundtracks. Without his blog, I would have not known about these.

* Rearranged the order after listening to GOW. Oh man! This soundtrack is something else. Very dark and very unusual in Hindi films. We will never get to hear such a soundtrack. It is not about melody, it is not about arrangements, it is the voice of Bihari people. I made a big mistake by placing it down. It has to be right at the top.

Last edited by V_S on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Re-arranged the order)
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Kumki-ya konjam overrate pannrOmO? AyyayyO (strings backing) excellent, othukkalaam. All other songs the tune meanders aimlessly, IMVHO. ShreyaG saves sollittaalE from being a megabore.

Onnum puriyala, paattum puriyala tune-um puriyala.

Nee eppO puLLa sollappORa - paatta eppOppaa mudippeenga

soi soi - decent

intro song - reject.

Have to admit haven't listened to the last 4 as much as ayyayyO (almost a regular) and sollittaaley.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:32 pm

For singer of the year, it is between Shreya Ghoshal, Chitra and Sunidhi Chauhan. Smile Shreya Ghoshal for PaathirayO pakalaai from Bachelor Party, Chitra for VishukiLi (there is a duet version too) from Ivan Megharoopan and Sunidhi for Mudhal Murai in NEPV. Terrific singing all of them, but coming to the complexities of the composition and how the singers handled them, I have to give it to Chitra ChEchi. That was one of the most difficult song to sing and she did it effortlessly even trumping the composer Sharreth (who had also sung the same song).
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Nerd, you may be right. Down the line in 1 or 2 years, I don't know if I will listen to kumki, but it looks good to me now. Another thing is as I told, I have not listened to many thamizh soundtracks also. This will definitely be not a complete or objective list. Please list yours and let me know if I missed something which I should not have.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:10 am

Sound trippin' - How Sneha Khanwalkar captures the sound and voice of Punjab in her films. She is doing some nice research and also got some amazing talents from Punjab no doubts, but it seems to be a big big team work doing her job. Most of all, she calls herself as a 'composer'. Laughing
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:27 pm

indha kichchan pAttula enna nallA irukkunnu idam sutti poruL viLakka mudiyumA?

adhAvadhu authenticityA vidunga...what is actually catchy or great about it (even assuming he will eventually use it for a carribean setting movie)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

On Kumki again - It was bloody hilarious to see Rahman fans shamelessly hiding behind Imman to put down NEPV. Adhaavadhu ayyayyO aanandhamE (Which has unmistakealbe IR influences, that was the funny part) song of the year and Kumki albau of the year. And naturally Kadal vandha udanE Kumki-kku gettavut.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Anbin Vaasal male singer is Haricharan????

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:03 pm

^Yes. Guess this is his first under Rahman.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 pm

That's Chinmayification of the most promising singer of the generation. Yaaro hindi /brahmins singer nu nenachen (tamil theriyaadha)

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next