Discussions on ARR

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Bala (Karthik) on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Kismat Se pathi yEn yA ARR fans kooda romba pEsaradhilla?!?! Just heard. What a lovely song! Highway'kellAm oore ticket edukkudhu. And yeah, shared the link merely mischievously. Salman oru loosu. But iz wassa funny page 3 vambu Razz
Avvalavu nalla irukkundreenga? Kozhandha pinra of course, sweet melody but idhayathula kai vittu pesaiyara amsam onnum illa. Straight song. Romba saccharine viashayangal avvalova odambukku othukkaradhilla.

Bala (Karthik)

Posts : 411
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-10-24

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Wizzy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 am

Velanthi Vasantha Balan - for 1930s milieu, AR idea rotated by google/youtube search   laugh 
Silencer Siddarth/Prithvi as indigent stage artists..vaanga ezhaigala vaanga
Wizzy
Wizzy

Posts : 888
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2012-10-24

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Drunkenmunk on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:
Avvalavu nalla irukkundreenga? Kozhandha pinra of course, sweet melody but idhayathula kai vittu pesaiyara amsam onnum illa. Straight song. Romba saccharine viashayangal avvalova odambukku othukkaradhilla.

Much better than Highway songs and seeing my ARR fan friends on twitter still celebrating Highway songs and BGM ( Laughing ) and no one took this up, was wondering why. Certainly feel it's one of his better songs in recent times. Saccharine yes, old Hindi song influence yes, but enjoyable. Maybe Shreya is who is making the difference.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1249
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 31
Location : Chennai

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Drunkenmunk on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 am

An old, 1998 discussion from rediff pages with ARR I found from twitter. Interesting and quite consistent with his overall views on his predecessors, ragas and western music Razz (btb, LOL @ Humma Humma and Muqqabla had Tamil folk):

http://www.rediff.com/chat/rahmchat.htm
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1249
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 31
Location : Chennai

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  crimson king on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:59 am

Ha ha ha, does he really not know THE David Bryne or is he just being his usual self?

crimson king

Posts : 1524
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2013-09-03

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  crimson king on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:
Bala (Karthik) wrote:
Avvalavu nalla irukkundreenga? Kozhandha pinra of course, sweet melody but idhayathula kai vittu pesaiyara amsam onnum illa. Straight song. Romba saccharine viashayangal avvalova odambukku othukkaradhilla.

Much better than Highway songs and seeing my ARR fan friends on twitter still celebrating Highway songs and BGM ( Laughing ) and no one took this up, was wondering why. Certainly feel it's one of his better songs in recent times. Saccharine yes, old Hindi song influence yes, but enjoyable. Maybe Shreya is who is making the difference.

Yep and besides, saccharine and old Hindi song influence, neither, are bad things.  Isn't Rahman often accused of not respecting our musical traditions? For a change, he has.  Besides, these kind of trance-y arrangements could not have been written in 50s or 60s because it was too early for trance, so something new.  The deceptive thing about the song is Rahman has kept it simple.  He hasn't tried too hard to come up with a new sound, he has just gone with the flow.  But the melody is very much identifiable as his even if it has some old school-ness about it.  I would certainly like it if he continues in this vein, I don't know about his fans and don't care.  Razz

crimson king

Posts : 1524
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2013-09-03

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  groucho070 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Cared so much less of ARR recent adventures to the point that the constant discussion I have with my brother, a hardcore ARR fan, has mostly been limited back to what Kamal and Rajini is up to of late. Let's just say that while travelling on a Harley gang behind ARR, the leader zoomed and disappeared into the bushes leaving old times fan like my brother stuck in the middle of the "Highway". Yes, the hotrod was hard and heavy, but not sure where it should be led to. The blind(ed) believers are still huffing and puffing their way attempting to sniff the tracks left behind. These days we are better off discussing local politics and the glorious days of English and Malay rock numbers. Rahman, apparently, has left the building...

_________________
Chronicles of Nevin:. Year One

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Posts : 268
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-11-26

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  fring151 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:49 am

groucho070 wrote:Let's just say that while travelling on a Harley gang behind ARR, the leader zoomed and disappeared into the bushes leaving old times fan like my brother stuck in the middle of the "Highway". Yes, the hotrod was hard and heavy, but not sure where it should be led to. The blind(ed) believers are still huffing and puffing their way attempting to sniff the tracks left behind. These days we are better off discussing local politics and the glorious days of English and Malay rock numbers. Rahman, apparently, has left the building...

Brilliant.  rotfl2

fring151

Posts : 1094
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:34 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:An old, 1998 discussion from rediff pages with ARR I found from twitter. Interesting and quite consistent with his overall views on his predecessors, ragas and western music Razz(btb, LOL @ Humma Humma and Muqqabla had Tamil folk):

http://www.rediff.com/chat/rahmchat.htm

'Rahman on Rediff circa 1998\" wrote:
Q; Why don't you team up with ilayaraja and create a vande mataram album or something for  <EMPHASIS MINE> the general good of this great country </EMPHASIS CLOSE> (sic)
A: Sriku: I'll sugggest it to Bharatbala honestly *whispering the sugestion to Bharat*


Ha ha evlo vishayam

1. LOL @ the questioner's sincerity when saying "general good of the great country"
2. 'I'll suggest to Bharatbala honestly'. Note the word 'honestly'. neRaiya arththam pudhaindha vaarthai. ha ha
3. whispering suggestion to bharat - imagine bharat following up on it and going to prasad studio to suggest colloboration. haiyo haiyo ninaichu paarthaale...
4. rediff fan chatukku kooda publicity guru bharatbala pakkathula vechukittu dhaan badhil sollli irukkaarna evlo publicity consciousa, Public relations consciousa irundhirukkaar paathukung
5. note that first few quesions get immediate answers while sriku's question gets a delayed answer along with next question. read between the line s- epdi badhil sonna public relation correctaa irukkumnu consultation pola bharatbalavoda before answering

That's Rahman in a nutshell.

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 am

[quote='arr']
Muthu: I had a light music band in 81-82 and we mainly used to play Illayaraja's and MSV's music. What I learnt from him is that musicians needed to take cociane and alchohol to compose good music, music discipline and music with variety. During my days with him, I was a pet. Since he had worked for my father, he regarded me like his son. But I was working nearly around 13 years in films and his was the last two years. I needed a change, that's why I took up a diferent genre of music. He is a genuis![/quote]


1.I suppose that is "musicians did not need to"
2. i suppose he is ir here
3. "I was his pet" - the break up must really have been a big incident. If only viju manuel and friends will tell us the truth instead of getting payment from panch and telling lies...
4. 'he is a genius" - certification kedaichrichey

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 am


Q: Why dont you use SPB any more?
A: He is concentrating on acting and, since we record instantaneously and due to shooting pressue, one is forced to use other singers because of SP's non-availability. He has a very good voice.


oho people - know you that SPB was focussing on acting in mid 90s. and rahman who waits for 6 months for perfection of a song couldnt use spb because of instant shooting pressures. evlo poo suthuraaruba

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 am

'he has a very good voice"
ok so spb is also rahman-certified

munk  thats on treasure there thumbsup

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 am

heavy metal enna avlo kevalamaa? adhai use panna ifm fans mannikka maattangangararu?

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 am


q: Rahman... what would you do if you were locked in one room with Anu Malik and Jatin-Lalit??
a: we will drink coke or pepsi


lol - well played 

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  fring151 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 am

plum wrote:3. "I was his pet" - the break up must really have been a big incident. If only viju manuel and friends will tell us the truth instead of getting payment from panch and telling lies...

"Pet" is a big surprise. But IMHO, the Viji Manuel innuendo does not add up.

fring151

Posts : 1094
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Bala (Karthik) on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 am

He does seem to be talking about IR but wasn't the question about Prasanna?

Bala (Karthik)

Posts : 411
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-10-24

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Bala (Karthik) on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 am

Grouch bhai 
Eppadi irukkel

Bala (Karthik)

Posts : 411
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-10-24

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Drunkenmunk on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 am

plum wrote:
5. note that first few quesions get immediate answers while sriku's question gets a delayed answer along with next question. read between the line s- epdi badhil sonna public relation correctaa irukkumnu consultation pola bharatbalavoda before answering

Not quite. Anvita S's question is at 12.34 AM and Sriku's is at 12.35 AM. He answers at 12.38 AM. So the question we read second appeared first and Sriku's came second. This happened for a few more questions too. So benefit of doubt to ARR here. Also, Viji's doesn't add up to me too. And yeah, the question was on Prasanna and the answer seemed to be on IR. "Pet" is quite a find Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1249
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 31
Location : Chennai

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  groucho070 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:Grouch bhai 
Eppadi irukkel
Etho nanna irukkhen. Always love to see you guys here, the more the bloodshed, the merrier as it would get the great Plum's approval. Love this thread. What do you think of the teaser for Kamal's next (athukkula etho oru payapulla kaappi tea-nu tuppa arambichittayngga, enamo ivingga ellam piyuuur gold mathiri Rolling Eyes )

_________________
Chronicles of Nevin:. Year One

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Posts : 268
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-11-26

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Drunkenmunk on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:07 pm

groucho070 wrote:
Etho nanna irukkhen. Always love to see you guys here, the more the bloodshed, the merrier as it would get the great Plum's approval. Love this thread. What do you think of the teaser for Kamal's next (athukkula etho oru payapulla kaappi tea-nu tuppa arambichittayngga, enamo ivingga ellam piyuuur gold mathiri Rolling Eyes )

Haha throwing stones from glass house cases. First said the poster was copied from a Theyyam poster from a blog.

Last time I saw, this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dt8_dmeRldw/TcJBaiQx9KI/AAAAAAAAAL8/0ASyXtvPjb4/s1600/theyam5+damu+eramam.jpg

and this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Uthama_Villain.jpg

are different at several levels. As for kaari thupparavanga, no idea on how film will be; trailer varala, music varala, oru extension of this poster'a vechukittu aadara attam, yappayappayappa.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1249
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 31
Location : Chennai

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  groucho070 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

True, I'd rather throw a missile from glass house where the window breaks, rather than a bullet proof sheet (as opposed to shit), where it hits you back. As you said, we shall see. Only the Ramesh Aravind factor worries me. Just "worry", not "skeptic". Heck I even loved PKS which apparently was directed by one Moulee. Note the word "apparently", yuvarr haanarrr...

_________________
Chronicles of Nevin:. Year One

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Posts : 268
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-11-26

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 pm

kirauso: good good appappo vanga.

munk and fring - yeah, a bit loose talk about viji and co...but muLLa muLLAla edukkanum policy illaiyaa

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  fring151 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 pm

plum wrote:kirauso: good good appappo vanga.

munk and fring - yeah, a bit loose talk about viji and co...but muLLa muLLAla edukkanum policy illaiyaa
 
100% for this, but Viji'a izhukka veNAm'nu dhaan solrEn. As such, he is suffering from poor health, was an ingetral member of IR orchestra and is still very much on good terms with IR by Eddie's FB accounts. He even posted some recent photo of Viji and IR together at his house...

fring151

Posts : 1094
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  fring151 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 am

groucho070 wrote:Cared so much less of ARR recent adventures to the point that the constant discussion I have with my brother, a hardcore ARR fan, has mostly been limited back to what Kamal and Rajini is up to of late. Let's just say that while travelling on a Harley gang behind ARR, the leader zoomed and disappeared into the bushes leaving old times fan like my brother stuck in the middle of the "Highway". Yes, the hotrod was hard and heavy, but not sure where it should be led to. The blind(ed) believers are still huffing and puffing their way attempting to sniff the tracks left behind. These days we are better off discussing local politics and the glorious days of English and Malay rock numbers. Rahman, apparently, has left the building...

Maniacs idha madhiri high-class'A RajavayO, mafia'vayO kiNdal pannAngana oru humour-fan'A nAne rasippEn. Avaungalum panrAngale mokka thanamAna, boring, predictable (somewhat like their idol's music these days) jokes about low-budget, stupid generalisation based, outrage based piffle. Juvenile fanboys.

fring151

Posts : 1094
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Raaga_Suresh on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:16 pm

crimson king wrote:
Drunkenmunk wrote:
Bala (Karthik) wrote:
Avvalavu nalla irukkundreenga? Kozhandha pinra of course, sweet melody but idhayathula kai vittu pesaiyara amsam onnum illa. Straight song. Romba saccharine viashayangal avvalova odambukku othukkaradhilla.

Much better than Highway songs and seeing my ARR fan friends on twitter still celebrating Highway songs and BGM ( Laughing ) and no one took this up, was wondering why. Certainly feel it's one of his better songs in recent times. Saccharine yes, old Hindi song influence yes, but enjoyable. Maybe Shreya is who is making the difference.

Yep and besides, saccharine and old Hindi song influence, neither, are bad things.  Isn't Rahman often accused of not respecting our musical traditions? For a change, he has.  Besides, these kind of trance-y arrangements could not have been written in 50s or 60s because it was too early for trance, so something new.  The deceptive thing about the song is Rahman has kept it simple.  He hasn't tried too hard to come up with a new sound, he has just gone with the flow.  But the melody is very much identifiable as his even if it has some old school-ness about it.  I would certainly like it if he continues in this vein, I don't know about his fans and don't care.  Razz
CR,

Rahman, I think, has quite a few numbers which have old Hindi film music influence. When I heard this song I immediately thought of old Madanmohan songs. I think there was one failure movie called Fiza or something, where he has a very similar Madanmohan-ish melody to modern trance like beats. If you hear 'Sahana' from 'Sivaji' it almost sounds like a slow version of 'badan pe sitare'. 

As Bala said, I found this song fairly standard melody with nothing going beyond the sweetness.

Raaga_Suresh

Posts : 404
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2012-10-24

Back to top Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 13 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum