Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions on ARR

+22
prakash
counterpoint
rajkumarc
groucho070
Bala (Karthik)
sagi
mayilSK
Raaga_Suresh
vicks
V_S
kv
Wizzy
Usha
Drunkenmunk
crimson king
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
dilbert
kiru
plum
app_engine
26 posters

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 12 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  plum Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:58 pm

v-s: background is ARR sued salman for using jai ho title. andha paatta ezhudhinadhu akthar avare summaa irukumbodhu ivar edhukku...
anyway silly of salman but he is known to do that

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks. I didn't know about that. athukkuthaan plum vEnum Smile Still it would be humiliating to Rahman. That's not good.

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:27 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Challu Bhai http://www.abplive.in/video/video_movies/2014/02/28/article270458.ece/Salman-calls-Rahman-%E2%80%98average%E2%80%99#.UxBGBfmk-uJ  Razz 

Salman rowdy'ngardhu oorarinja vishayam. Aana avarai "average'nu sonnadhai Rahman migai paduthaama irundhurkalaam'nu thOnudhu. "If he wants to work with me, he has to do movies which I like" is a virulent remark not befitting a man of Rahman's gentlemanly bearing. He could have shrugged the question off with a smile and self-deprecatory humour like he usually does. We never thought he had it in him to take cheap potshots at someone like Salman for merely expressing his opinion and that too in a jovial, non-offensive manner. 

ARR suing Sallu for using the Jai Ho title is also deeply disappointing. "Jai Ho" is one of the most banal combination of words in the Hindi language and lyricist kooda kaNdukalla, apram ivarukku yEn?... In fact one of the best movies he scored for, Alaipaayuthey's title is not original. Moreover, what about all the Tamil movies in the 80s which stole the title from the latest hit song? Even the recent NEPV's title was lifted from a famous VM penned song. In spite of the fact that VM is no longer on talking terms with Raja, he still didn't sue Raja! This shows he is a more broad minded person and ARR has a petty side which I didn't know existed. One hopes he learns from this incident and not indulge in such publicity gimmicks in the future.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:28 am

Idhellam oru WWF-pola.  Nicely play acted by two smart businessmen (waise toh Kapil da bhi kuch kam nahi) to put the Raunaq album on the front page,er, of at least the supplement.  Rahman has already worked with Salman on Yuvraaj.  By the way, ABP news is the only source reporting that Rahman said that thing about working with Salman, so I wonder how reliable that is, given their penchant for scandal mongering.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:43 am

Kapil Sipal lyrics ah  Surprised how does AR find time for these ventures..next year Bharat Ratna confirmed..AR the maska master   thumbsup
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:55 am

Have to say though, without reference to his motives in combining with Sibal, Kismat Se is the best thing I have heard from ARR in years and years.  A beautiful melody with restrained and tasteful arrangements, sort of like an update on the ghazal format.  I have not gone into the meaning of Sibal's lyrics (IF he is indeed the real writer!) but phonetically speaking it sounds beautiful.  The whole song has a classical (not necessarily referring to classical music here) quality that has been largely missing in Hindi music of late.  So maybe this is what Ilayaraja meant when he said in that Cheeni Kum interview that Rahman is being made (er) to do things that give people a wrong impression of his music.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:04 am

Heard the song now. Refreshingly different from his recent outings. Shreya is fantastic.

Btw, hope no one took my last post even semi-seriously. There are atleast 3 embarrassingly illogical statements in it.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah, beautiful singing there by Shreya.  Now THIS is the kind of minimalism I like, though it has, contrary to Rahmaniacs' claims, existed since ages in film music. It is minimalist in the sense that there's nothing excessive, too ornamental for the sake of, in it, just about as many notes as required.  Where has this Rahman been?  Blame the producer for not dreaming up such a song even for JTHJ much?

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 am

Kismat Se pathi yEn yA ARR fans kooda romba pEsaradhilla?!?! Just heard. What a lovely song! Highway'kellAm oore ticket edukkudhu. And yeah, shared the link merely mischievously. Salman oru loosu. But iz wassa funny page 3 vambu Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 am

Page 3 vambu dhan. Media's gone to town with it in spite of all the hot happenings in the nation like Sahara Shri finally being arrested.  

As for Rahmaniacs, that Sunil guy on mayyam was raving about it, which is what piqued my curiosity and got me to check it out.  May not have otherwise.  Yet to see more reviews of it from Rahman fans.  Just the other day, was saying on BR's blog that Rahman seems to be intentionally going for generic songs (as in the Highway soundtrack) to appeal to internazznal taste. Happy to eat my words for now, Kismat Se is bliss.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 pm

A mildly booze induced ARR nostalgia (or nostalogy, if you are a Gobi fan) trip thanks to this song, and I am loathe to throw around that word, but I have to say Alaipaayuthey is an all round Rahman masterpiece. The BGM fits in beautifully in most of the key moments of the movie (which I am sort of revisiting now) and the whole soundtrack just feels organic - no forced motifs, no faux fusion, just vintage, ARR gold. Alaipaayutheey has never been bettered by ARR, before or after. In the case of Raja, I would be hard pressed to pick ONE Greatest soundtrack/BGM album, but in the case of ARR, it is Alaipayuthey, hands down.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

His last masterpiece for sure.  THE one for me too if I consider his Tamil soundtracks but overall, it's Bombay (Hindi) for me.  Mehboob wrote beautiful lyrics to elevate the music, esp Kehna Hi Kya and Tu Hi Re, and Remo Fernandes transformed Humma Humma into a real aggro rocker instead of the peppy number it sounded like with ARR's vocals in Tamil.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Alaipayuthe and Kandukonden Kandukonden for me. Brilliant year that 2000, for him. His last 2 absolutely great soundtracks in Tamil. Hindi, I'd pick Rangeela, Bombay and Delhi 6.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Hmm. Never heard Hindi Bombay. And not a lyrics person at all. Poetry never made sense to me. I have to read a poem n times before what the poet is trying to convey sinks in. But anyway, will listen to Hindi Bombay sometime...

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Kanudukondein is a soundtrack masterpiece too, yes. But don't recall the BGM. Nalla irundhudhO?

Last edited by fring151 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Not a poetry guy either.  But Kannalane just SOUNDS so complicated (kashtam) compared to the free flowing Hindi version.  En Kangalai parithokollu v/s chalne lage.  Just two small words in the Hindi equivalent verse, giving Chithra more space to sustain the note, or sing brigas.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:24 pm

fring151 wrote:Kanuduknode is a soundtrack masterpiece too, yes. But don't recall the BGM. Nalla irundhudhO?

Don't remember. But one of his very best soundtracks and came along with Alaipayuthe. Between these 5 and also Dil Se, I'd pick Kandukonden as my all time favorite ARR album Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:
fring151 wrote:Kanuduknode is a soundtrack masterpiece too, yes. But don't recall the BGM. Nalla irundhudhO?

Don't remember. But one of his very best soundtracks and came along with Alaipayuthe. Between these 5 and also Dil Se, I'd pick Kandukonden as my all time favorite ARR album Smile

Ah ok. Naa BGM include paNNi Alaipayuthey'ku ticket vAngaren  Smile . Seriously BGM chance'ae illa. The way the "EvanO oruvan" flute theme, "Pachai niramE", "Snegidhane", "Kadhal sadugudu" motifs keep reoccurring throughout the movie is beautiful.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:31 pm

fring151 wrote:
Ah ok. Naa BGM include paNNi Alaipayuthey'ku ticket vAngaren  Smile . Seriously BGM chance'ae illa. The way the "EvanO oruvan" flute theme, "Pachai niramE", "Snegidhane", "Kadhal sadugudu" motifs keep reoccurring throughout the movie is beautiful.

Evano Oruvan has to be one of ARR's all time great songs.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 pm

crimson king wrote:Not a poetry guy either.  But Kannalane just SOUNDS so complicated (kashtam) compared to the free flowing Hindi version.  En Kangalai parithokollu v/s chalne lage.  Just two small words in the Hindi equivalent verse, giving Chithra more space to sustain the note, or sing brigas.

Yes. NOT a Vairam fan (and I don't need to be a connoisseur of poetry to say that). Most (not all) of his lyrics (when I bother to give them a thought) strike me as either a) contrived, b) vulgar c) cliched d) vacuous

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:36 pm

IR keeps making that point in public talks.  That even if a word sounds ordinary in normal speech, it may sound beautiful in the context of a vocal melody and the lyricist has to have that vision.  He has praised Vaali for that aspect.  Unfortunately Vairam thinks not being able to use big words is a restriction on his creativity.  Great lyrics were not and never have been about exotic vocabulary. Mehboob wrote simple but effective and elegant lyrics and did wonders for the same soundtrack as opposed to Perarasu.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 pm

That aside, among the singers that ARR has introduced in films, a thing for which he gets a lot of tickets and praise, the only ones I feel with the talent to be bracketed with the genuinely good are Hari and Shankar Mahadevan. On a question as to why he doesn't stick with the singers, he answered around 2000 that the audience constantly expects a change and this is market driven. So by that logic, the constant influx of singers, for which he gets credit, is also market driven. That way, Hurryharan and Shankar M are the only ones who've stood the test of time right, looking at the positives of ARR.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:That aside, among the singers that ARR has introduced in films, a thing for which he gets a lot of tickets and praise, the only ones I feel with the talent to be bracketed with the genuinely good are Hari and Shankar Mahadevan. On a question as to why he doesn't stick with the singers, he answered around 2000 that the audience constantly expects a change and this is market driven. So by that logic, the constant influx of singers, for which he gets credit, is also market driven. That way, Hurryharan and Shankar M are the only ones who've stood the test of time right, looking at the positives of ARR.

Yes, agree about that. Highlighted part makes sense too.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 pm

crimson king wrote:IR keeps making that point in public talks.  That even if a word sounds ordinary in normal speech, it may sound beautiful in the context of a vocal melody and the lyricist has to have that vision.  He has praised Vaali for that aspect.  Unfortunately Vairam thinks not being able to use big words is a restriction on his creativity.  Great lyrics were not and never have been about exotic vocabulary. Mehboob wrote simple but effective and elegant lyrics and did wonders for the same soundtrack as opposed to Perarasu.

I agree with IR's opinion. Music is meant to convey what words cannot. I think that is why, Raja often demonstrates how lyrics of one song could easily fit into another tune without changing anything for the listener (e.g. Maanguyile, raathiriyil poothirukkum). Enna kaetta lyrics are irrelevant'nu thaan solluvEn. I only like poetry if it is truly imaginative, contains lofty thoughts AND is phonetically pleasing. The number of VM songs which satisfy all these criteria, I can count on one, maybe two hands.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Was watching DD news - in some context "humility" was bandied about a lot. Wife turns to me and asks: "humilityna enna?" . KVla padicha poNNU indha vaarthaiya kEkkama vaLarndhurukkunna, telugu desam epdi vaLarthurukkunnu pAthukung.

tamizhngaLum irukkIngaLe pozhudhu vidinju pozhundhu pOna "avar evLO huimble"nu jabam paNNa vENdiyadhu

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next