Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jukebox - what's playing?

+18
fring151
crimson king
Usha
rajkumarc
HonestRaj
Sridhar
writeface
sagi
Wizzy
skr
V_S
Admin
app_engine
Michael AF
Bala (Karthik)
plum
jaiganesh
kv
22 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Jukebox - what's playing? Empty Jukebox - what's playing?

Post  kv Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Dhinakkudha from Pizza; music by Santosh Narayanan (who debuted in attakathi).

When the credits read Gana Bala as the vocalist, I was expecting another earthy gaana song but Santosh twists the idea on its head! Turns out that the song is, yougottafuckinbelievethis, jazz! And Gana Bala does a Louis Armstrong and pulls it off really welll! The trumpets and guitars (with a lovely lead) are splendid!
Santosh... nee nalla varuva thambi!

raaga.com/player4/?id=347099&mode=100&rand=0.811382545856759
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Jukebox - what's playing? Empty Re: Jukebox - what's playing?

Post  jaiganesh Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 pm

ninaivo oru paravai.
can anyone else give that thrill of drums in a melody song? never only raaja.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm

'Universal Sleeper' by Bangalore based rock band 'Bevar Sea'. Frankly the song is no great shakes; only the guitar work is kinda decently done. But... but... the dudes have used a car chase sequence from Vidudhalai (NT+RK) for the video! Very Happy
youtube.com/watch?v=PEvOn0yfTbc

Dedicated to Grouch & Nerd!
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Vidudhalai - aNNan sandirabosein "danda dakkara danda dakkara danda dakakra(instrumetnts) hey hey (voice)" music going places. RIP aNNan Bose!

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 am

kv wrote:Dhinakkudha from Pizza; music by Santosh Narayanan (who debuted in attakathi).

When the credits read Gana Bala as the vocalist, I was expecting another earthy gaana song but Santosh twists the idea on its head! Turns out that the song is, yougottafuckinbelievethis, jazz! And Gana Bala does a Louis Armstrong and pulls it off really welll! The trumpets and guitars (with a lovely lead) are splendid!
Santosh... nee nalla varuva thambi!

raaga.com/player4/?id=347099&mode=100&rand=0.811382545856759
Will check this out, I liked "aadi pona" from Attakathi

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Any MD/Language/genre allowed here right?? . Want to blast guitar like the dude in this song here. Absolut MAYHEM

Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Underrated GEM rabbit

Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:20 pm

veeNaiyil 'lalitha priya kamalam' (private recording, nicely played):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx2evaRlc_M

BTW, Chiranjeevi has become central minister, part of singam's team!
Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am

plum wrote:Vidudhalai - aNNan sandirabosein "danda dakkara danda dakkara danda dakakra(instrumetnts) hey hey (voice)" music going places. RIP aNNan Bose!
Poor guy forced to use some of the Hindi tracks when he wanted to do his own. IR mattum oru roller-coaster engineer career-la poYittarnA (Jai Wink )maybe Bose-annan would have been bigger.

Admin
Admin

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:24 am

A piece I wrote long time ago on heavy metal head banging here.

Admin
Admin

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Was at Slayer's concert two weeks back. Took almost a whole week for my neck pain to subside.
(and some loonies, all built like wild boars, have been moshing like maniacs at the recent shows I've been to. Pain in the arse these pricks are!)
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:21 am

Friday night blasting with one of my favorite british rock band "The Who". More of rock and roll and some call "rock opera". In one of their album "Who's Next (1971)", there is this "I don't even know myself" and "Bargain". I would say these songs as evolution of hard rock from rock and roll. Please correct me if I am wrong. We can hear lot of hard work in them. The result is the experience we get. Lead Guitarist Pete Townsend and Drummer Keith Moon (died at an early age of 32) are the real heroes of these songs apart for magic vocals. Can't believe this album is now 40 years old.

The last 1:30 minutes of music is truly divine.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Listening to Nenjukkule unplugged from Kadal ..I find it really interesting its got a nice breezy feel..Like the Charanam esp which starts along in a chromatic fashion , the song is composed in G Major
http://mtv.in.com/unplugged/videos.php?cid=12602

There are other videos too from the Unplugged show today..

Reviews please ??

Last edited by skr on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:26 pm

is that kebah on guitars Shocked he has made rapid strides, only recently he was trotting around the city for pubfest
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:59 pm

The kadal song's fine (still got my reservations about the nativity factor; will wait for the original version to come out, where I'm guessing the orchestration will be different from what we've heard here), but the show overall was darn good. Live music vaazhga! cheers
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:05 am

+1 Very seducing song with brilliant ideas, no doubt about it, still, if we look at how this will set to the mileu, I too have some reservations. The unplugged version's singing to is very stylish for the native lyrics. Hope these two are not there true in the original version. Still lot more to be happy about hearing the live instruments. If you look at it, how funny that Maestro switched more to synth in late 90s (hesitatingly) to keep up with the people even knowing/expecting this should not last longer, now for the past two soundtracks (even though he has used live instruments sporadically earlier, I hope this is true for kadal), ARR switching to live instruments (not sure hesitatingly) surely knowing that synth will not last longer and only live instruments is for the past, present and future. Surely a welcome trend. Vaanga sir vazhikku vaanga.

With all this I tend to think, why all this fuss about new sounds and synth initially when everyone is going to settle with the long lasting effective musical standards/sounds/ethics. Or did it take ARR twenty years to learn and realize this to completely come out of his dark keyboard room (out of his comfort zone)? Was it necessary just to steer the market towards him by opting temporary measures and then routing to something permanent? Was it necessary to fool Ilaiyaraaja and his people only to come back to his route? Or he is maturing as a musician only now? I have all these questions in my mind when I hear ARR this song. I know it is premature to talk about it listening just to one full soundtrack and one song, but still what do you guys think?
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't even understand what she is singing. I am sure the final mix will be better, but just based on this sample, thumbs down w.r.to singing. Sounds so alien. Lyrics vera level, singing and even the arrangements different plane. Minimalistic arrangements would have worked wonders.

Lovely lilting tune though.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:46 pm

The Kadal discussion in the other forum is funny, When someone questioned the nativity quotient of this song, they retort that "Someone needs to be in space ot make Space Odyssey??" and that is supposed ot be a super-smart retort leading to ROTFLS.
Now, here's the thing. There is a difference in genre between Space Odyssey and the movies Munirathnam makes. idhu theriyAma idhu oru smart retortnu ninaichu pEsaRavangaLai ennanu solRadhu?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Violin Vicky has written about this song..
Posting his comments below (In Tamizh)

நான் இதை முன்னமே சொல்லி இருக்கிறேன்.. மறுபடியும் சொல்கிறேன் .. ரஹ்மான் புதிய தொழில்நுட்ப யுத்திகளை கொண்டு கம்போஸ் செய்வதோடு நிறுத்திகொள்வது ரொம்ப நல்லது.. நிஜ ஆர்கெஸ்ட்ராவை தன்னிச்சைக்கு ஆட வைக்கும் ஆளுமை அவருக்கு இன்னும் வரவில்லை. கீ போர்டில் ஸ்ட்ரிங்ஸ் மோடில் சாஃ ப்ட் பேக்கிங் கொடுத்து பழக்கப்பட்டவர்.. இருபது வயலின் கலைஞர்களுக்கு வயலின் 1 வயலின் 2 என பாகம் பாகமாக பிரித்து இசையமைக்காமல் ஒட்டு மொத்தமாக கீ போர்ட் வயலின் பேக்கிங் போல பயன்படுத்துகிறார்..

இது ஒரு கிராமிய பாடலாக அவர் உருவகித்து இசையமைத்திருந்தால், லவுக்கை இல்லாமல் நதிக்கரையில் பாடும் முதல் மரியாதை ராதா நினைவில் வரவில்லை .. "நேற்று இல்லாத மாற்றம்" பாட்டில் தேயிலை தோட்டத்தில் ஓடி வரும் ஸ்கிர்ட் போட்ட ரேவதியை நினைவு படுத்துகிறது.. (ஆனால் சிச்சுவேஷன் பக்கா கிராமிய சூழல் என யூகிக்க முடிகிறது . பாடகியின் உச்சரிப்பில் மட்டுமே அதன் அப்பட்டம் தெரிகிறது.. )

என் நண்பன் வினை என்று ஒருவன் உண்டு. பரீட்சையில் என்ன கேள்வி கேட்டாலும் தனக்கு தெரிந்ததை மட்டுமே எழுதிவிட்டு வருவான். ஆனால் பாசாகி விடுவான் .. இந்த இசையமைப்பும் அந்த ரகம் தான் .. ஒரு சூழலுக்கு இசையமைக்கப்பட்ட பாடல் என்பதை தவிர்த்து இதை ஒரு வெறும் பாடலாக கேட்டால் நன்றாகத் தான் இருக்கிறது .. ஆனால் இது கதைக்கு ஒத்த இசை அல்ல. இசையமைப்பாளருக்கு தன்னாலேயே தோன்றிய இசை என்று மட்டும் தெரிகிறது.

மறுபடியும் இது ஒரு நல்ல பாடல் என்பதை ஒத்துக் கொள்கிறேன்..

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm

How about some chinese music? Recently a person joined my team. She is from China. Slowly when talking to her, as usual I went into music side. Since I had not listened much to their music forms and don't even know their history of music, I was asking her all the details and she was patiently explaining me. She was also kind enough to share some of their music which showcases their traditional instruments right from Xhio, Pipa, SuoNa, GuZheng, DiZi and so on. It was truly mind-blowing. I still don't know the composers who composed these pieces, I will get the details.

Wiki has some great details about these instruments. Very interesting to read these articles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiao_(flute)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizi_(musical_instrument)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guzheng
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulusi

See the list of Chinese traditional instruments. That was some list!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_musical_instruments

The soundscape which these instruments create is something very special. How about Maestro composing some chinese films with these instruments?
These files mainly play these instruments either as solo and also in concerto. Especially the second one "Pipa", very grand piece. I too am listening and not completed. Can't wait to share with you all. Please enjoy listening to it and share your comments. Smile
http://www.mediafire.com/?nzoejypurzyfniu
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 am

Vicky is right. Take for instance "Sara Sara Sara kaththu". Thanks to Vairam's native lines(again no great shakes but atleast decently authentic), this passes off for a lovely period song based in 1960s gramam.It is a big hit, too. Yet, the way the song has been packaged is so sophisticated. You even have seasonred critics like Baradwaj Rangan going gaga as the best album last year for this one. Clearly, the concept of "narrative integrity" - being true to the milieu and the mood of the movie - is alien to these people.

Chinmayee sings it with no clue as to what a village belle, uneducated, would sound like. The stylish way in which she enunciates "sara sara", "iththu pOna" give you a vision of a modern girl spending a few minutes in a gramam as part of NCC trip.
Yet she got a filmfare award for the same.

Contrast this with how IR orchestrated and Shreya Ghoshal sang "Unna vida". How did she nail the madurai accent and how did she put in your brain a picture of a village girl, albeit educated. Shreya even nails the completely rural themmAnga 'Parththu pO".

The lack of nuance in appreciation of these - Chinmayee gramathu poNNu pAttu azhagA padi irukkuppA - boils my blood.

As a society, we dont deserve IR at all.

Mahanadhi Kamal dialogue "oru nallavanukku kedaikkaRa adhE mariyAdhai kettavanukkum kedaikkumnA appuRam enna samudhAyam"

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 am

Haven't listened to the Kadal song and hence reserve my comments on that one.

"Sara sara saara kaathu" - Plum, you have missed the most glaring, outrageous blunder/gap in that song. The way Chinmayee says "tea.... " (tchee, like it's pronounced in English) is WTF, OMG, ROTFL, BANGHEAD all put together

Some people (from both camps) mistake narrative integrity to the mere choice of instruments etc, thereby setting up own goals. Rather, the point is on the net effect. There should be something in the song/music that should be evocative of the setting.

Note: Disagree with Vicky/VS_Sir on his point that Rahman
"ரஹ்மான் புதிய தொழில்நுட்ப யுத்திகளை கொண்டு கம்போஸ் செய்வதோடு நிறுத்திகொள்வது ரொம்ப நல்லது"
I'm still a fan of many of his 90's works - some of them cannot be reduced to "technical yuthigal". Strength and beauty of Melody, sparse instrumentation ippadi munnadiye kuduthirukkaare...

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:51 am

Haha. Plum, your last line sums it up nicely. But that's the fate, we have to accept it. Yes, I too have the same feeling (as Vicky) whenever I listen any ARR song with some real instruments. Whatever violin/flute/harmonium sounds he has been achieving with piano/keyboard, he is now trying to do the same by playing real instruments, so that effect can be real. Even if we accept the sounds of real instruments will be good, the usage should not be like that. That's why I even questioned in my earlier post, why is he turning to his infamous route? Just because all his keyboard options are done to death or the contemporary music directors already mastered that technique so he wants to move away from that to using real instruments (often) assuming no one has mastered real instruments, when we have pioneers in this department for the past 60 years. I see this as some sort of cleverness to stay in the market. Singing-wise it is a let down even if assuming orchestration will be different in original version. If the orchestration does not vary much, then definitely it does not fit the settings which takes little interest out. Singing is too stylish for the lyrics which does not invoke any earthiness and justification to the lyrics. Even some words are very hard to hear. May be all our expectations are also outdated.

As per today's scenario, I think, one should only see it as a stand-alone song and is good to ears, nothing else. Once these hard rules which made real cinema and its music, has been diluted so much, such that music is becoming/already became an independent entity out of the film context. The reason they quote is we are not going to see the song always in visuals and not going to attach to the film always. For every good question, we have a bad answer. It is not about the film visuals, it is about the competency/versatility of a film music director. Even when we know so many of Maestro's songs have been butchered on screen, still we have pleasant memories of those songs, not because of those horrible visuals, but because of our extended imaginations about the song and also its ability to transport us to that milieu and people whenever we listen by painting some beautiful landscapes in us. Nowadays we can't get the feel even if the song has some excellent tune (as this song), it remains as a song, it does not inject life into it and does not reflect our lives, that's where they fail miserably. Again this thought is also outdated.

Last edited by V_S on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:57 am

They started their collaboration by getting a simple village girl in Sunderapandipuram to do a reggae hence the kadal song is par for course for AR/Mani diddling with a village number so really can't fathom all the abuse coming their way wrt nativity.

OTOH AR is really at the crossroads of his career with him losing his HFM 'niche' crowd to Amits/Sampaths and the core youth audience here to arivuGVs/Hairis. I see him breaking away to doing unplugged version of his songs/getting the krauts to render his songs are an attempt to survive/be relevant in the industry where the competition is cut-throat/throwing up new names every week.

From whatever I heard in the MTV show/Classic incantations concert weren't up to scratch .The tracks have been reworked/rearranged significantly and it is completely devoid of any essence wrt their studio version. His attempt to go light on 'layers' with simple/monotonous tunes(copyright Hairis) in the new Chopra movie hasn't created any ripples and this new avatar of him suddenly turning into a 'composer' only gonna antagonize his followers who are brought up on layers/layers of electronic music. The day is not far for Arrfans to cross to the other ship and bitch about electronic music/on how it is killing the musicality of TFM Laughing
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Listened to "Nenjukkulle" last night. Mobile la dhaan, without earphones:

As people have already mentioned, the song is nice as a standalone piece but it just doesn't gel with the supposed theme/milieu of the movie. The diction (not just pronunciation) is atrocious. Is this even Tamil? She has virtually killed the song for me. The accordion groove stands out though

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next